Fleet Manager Job Description (Arizona)
The Fleet Manager is a safety promoter, a leader, a mentor, a financial strategist, a planner, a friend, and a member of the Hylan family. Success in the role requires that the Fleet Manager be proactive in taking ownership of the fleet under their care and ensuring every day that the vehicles and equipment that go to work, are safe, productive, and best fit the needs of our operations teams. Unfortunately, everything breaks at some point. What defines the role and the individual in it, is how they handle the response to these situations, and understanding of the larger picture. Here, cost control and strategy intersect and where the Fleet Manager must shine is understanding the need of the customer, as well as how delay or idle costs of operations impact the bottom line. Being able to assess a situation, gather all the facts, and then make a cost conscious decision sets a true fleet leader apart. At Hylan we value, support, and appreciate our leaders, and to be successful in making decision it will often take a team. The team you lead directly will be the technicians and support staff, but also indirectly you build valuable relationships and friendships with the operations teams. Using your skills, knowledge, and experience to work together to solve problems, plug holes, safely resolve tough situations, while recognizing what is most cost effective for the organization.
This role will report to the President, with regular and indirect support from the National Fleet Manager.
• Promote a safety vision and standard in our shop and across all shop activities including cleanliness.
• Regular communication with the operations leadership, to plan and support both operational and fleet activities. This includes identifying issues and raising concerns that effect our operations, as well as opportunity to improve safety or costs.
• Build a service team that understands how to successfully respond and communicate to the needs and daily issues that arise within our fleet.
• Operate a cost-effective shop, understand the budget, setting clear time and target expectation for the day-to day shop activities and regularly reviewing and approve work orders and technician time sheets.
• Prioritize and adapt technicians time and availability based on the operations time frames and needs. ever changing needs and equipment availability.
• Manage and ensure the input of data into our Maintenance Software system follows guidelines as established.
• Communicate, plan, and follow the preventative maintenance schedules as applied by Hylan to ensure these are completed timely and within standards.
• Understand the costs of parts and parts churn in the shop. Set stocking levels and processes to return and manager under used and high-value parts regularly.
• Bring a high level of passion, energy, self-confidence, and team-oriented attitude and display individual integrity and high ethics.
• Build vendor relationships that benefit and support the overall operation while being attentive to changes in costs and other opportunities regularly comparing prices.
• Regularly travel to yards and operations locations to support, train, inspect, or just build relationships with the operations teams.
• Ensuring our telematics GPS are reporting/operational for operation and respond and repair non-reporting units.
• Review and assess the fleet teams activities and productivity, always ready to mentor, coach, and/or correct actions or items identified before they develop into larger issues. This includes developing and following through on action items that address issues as needed.
• Continually improve the fleet processes, technician training, education, and leveraging other organizational tools and support systems.
• Be available to train or support leadership and safety either in the field or as part of training events as it relates to fleet operations. This includes review or support of operator/driver eDVIR training as needed to ensure safety and compliance.
• Set technician responsibilities as well as capabilities and limitations, ensuring they are working within the safety limits of their knowledge and skill set as well as company standards.
• Be able to communicate clearly in both verbal as well as written form and within multiple levels of the organization.
• Perform required shop/site safety inspections/audits and communicate and follow-up on concerns identified.
• Be responsible for ensuring on-going PMs are prioritized and completed in accordance with enterprise schedules.
• Support and drive to conclusion special projects as defined by leadership.
• As needed, be able to step into a technician role to assist or perform repairs and other maintenance activities as needed, especially in time of labor shortage situations.
• Attend regular local leadership meetings and be able to gather the information required to present and discuss safety and financial performance of the fleet department.
• Occasionally be required to travel, which may include flying, to conferences or off-site meetings.
Qualifications and Experience
• Strong track record of safety focused work experience.
• General knowledge of the OSHA and EPA requirements as it relates to maintenance activities and shop safety.
• 5+ years of experience as a technician/mechanic at an equipment or truck repair shop.
• 2+ years of experience in a shop or fleet leadership role that included financial responsibility and accountability, working within a budget, and being able to estimate and communicate the cost of repairs.
• General understanding of the cost drivers within a shop or repair environment, and what steps can be taken to mitigate and manage costs.
• Experience with electronic maintenance work order and PM tracking systems.
• A critical thinker and decisive decision maker who understands the effect of decisions on costs, productivity and reliability.
• High-energy, self-motivated, organized, and able to self-manage time and daily objectives, who can think and assess situations and make critical or strategic decisions.
• General understanding of the federal DOT regulations as it applies to both intrastate and interstate fleets.
• Experience with a wide, geographically operated fleet a plus.
• Proficient communication both verbal and written.
• Proficient in using the Microsoft Office suite programs.
• Holds a valid driver’s license, CDL a plus.
• Ability to collaborate with teams and organization leaders acting in alignment and support of operational objectives and concerns.
Hylan is a leading provider of full-service turnkey communications solutions, electrical infrastructure design and construction services for wireline, wireless and smart city municipal services across the United States. Hylan is the parent company to four divisions that include Hylan Datacom & Electrical, Hylan West, Down Under Construction and Western Utility. Hylan Companies provide an array of comprehensive services, which include communications and electrical infrastructure design, DAS and small cell installations, engineering, construction, and maintenance services and more. Originally founded as Hylan Datacom & Electrical over 60 years ago in New York City, Hylan now serves a wide variety of end-markets throughout the U.S., with current offices and facilities in New York, New Jersey, Arizona, California, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Utah, Texas and Virginia. For more information please visit: www.Hylan.com
Why Join the Hylan Team:
• Competitive Wage
• Paid Vacation & Holidays
• Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
• 401K Plan
• Career Advancement Opportunities
FILL OUT FORM BELOW TO APPLY.
Career Application Form
|Job Category||Hylan West Careers|